Abductors Murders Priest in Nigeria after a Month In Captivity, Church Leader Says

Nigeria is mourning again after an Anglican priest who was kidnapped in the country’s northwest has been confirmed dead. 

Church leaders announced that Venerable Edwin Achi, who had been held captive for about a month, was killed by his abductors in Kaduna State.

The incident adds to the growing wave of kidnappings and deadly attacks in northern Nigeria, which has drawn strong criticism both locally and internationally.

The head of the Church of Nigeria, Archbishop Henry Ndakuba, said the priest was taken from his home on October 28 together with his wife and daughter. 

The attackers, believed to be part of the armed groups that dominate several regions in the north, stormed the compound at night and disappeared with the family.

Ndakuba described the priest’s death as a painful moment for the church and the country.

“It is with deep sorrow that we confirm the tragic death of our beloved priest, who was murdered in captivity after enduring a month of suffering,” he said in a statement.

According to church officials, the kidnappers initially demanded a ransom of 600 million naira (about $416,000) for the priest’s release. 

As negotiations continued, they later reduced the amount to 200 million naira, but the captors still refused to free him.

Achi’s wife and daughter are still being held, and their fate remains unknown.

Police in Kaduna State did not immediately comment on the killing, and security agencies have yet to announce any arrests or leads.

The killing comes at a time when northern Nigeria is witnessing a sharp rise in abductions targeting schools, churches, and villages. 

Armed gangs, commonly referred to as bandits, have expanded their activities despite heavy military presence in some areas.

In mid-November, 25 schoolgirls were kidnapped in Kebbi State. Just days later, gunmen carried out one of the largest school attacks in recent years, abducting more than 300 students and teachers from a Catholic institution in Niger State. 

The incident led to widespread fear among parents and forced several states to temporarily close schools for safety reasons.

President Bola Tinubu responded by announcing the recruitment of 50,000 new police officers and suspending all his foreign trips to focus on what he described as a “national emergency.”

The worsening security situation has drawn attention worldwide. U.S. President Donald Trump recently criticized the Nigerian government’s handling of the crisis, calling the situation “a disgrace” and warning that the United States might reconsider its aid if the violence continues—especially against Christian communities.

Human rights groups have also accused the government of failing to dismantle the networks behind the kidnappings and demanded better protection for vulnerable regions.

Archbishop Ndakuba urged security agencies to intensify investigations, identify the masterminds behind the violence, and rescue the priest’s remaining family members.

He also warned that the killings are tearing communities apart and spreading fear among religious leaders who often serve in some of the most dangerous parts of the country.

“We appeal to the government to expose those sponsoring this wave of terror and ensure the safe return of the priest’s wife and daughter,” he said.

The death of Venerable Edwin Achi has deepened frustration among Nigerians who feel the government is losing control of security. 

Many families have stopped traveling at night, and some churches and schools now rely on local vigilantes for protection.

Post a Comment

0 Comments